The Law Office of Tony E. Parada Articles Adjustment of Status in Immigration

Adjustment of Status in Immigration

By The Law Office of Tony E. Parada  Dec. 23, 2013 2:41p

You may have heard the immigration term "adjustment of status" and wondered what this term means. Basically, adjustment of status refers to the procedure an immigrant must go through to obtain lawful permanent residency while the individual is currently living in the United States. Successful completion of the process will result in a green card which permits the holder of the green card to live and work in this country for an indefinite time period. The adjustment of status process allows the applicant to complete the process of becoming a lawful permanent resident without having to return to his or her home country to complete the visa procedure.

Most immigrants become eligible to complete the adjustment of status procedure based on a petition that is filed on their behalf by a family member or an employer. Other ways to obtain a green card may be through refugee or asylum status or other immigrant programs authorized under the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Green cards are valid for 10 years and must be renewed before they expire. Those granted a green card have the right to permanently reside in this country as long as they abide by U. S. laws, to work in any profession or employment of their choice, and to be protected by local, state, and federal laws.

Houston Immigration Lawyer

Immigration law can be extremely complicated and achieving your immigration goals may seem difficult when faced with rules, regulations, and laws that are difficult to understand and apply. That is why it is essential to work with an experienced immigration lawyer who handles these cases regularly and who knows how to get the job done smoothly and without complications or delays.

If you are in need of assistance with any immigration matter, from adjustment of status to asylum, bond proceedings, citizenship, deportation defense, naturalization, any type of visa, or other issues, The Law Office of Tony E. Parada can help. Mr. Parada serves clients in Texas and throughout the United States. His legal services are available in fluent Spanish as well as English. He has an in-depth understanding of all the laws and factors which can impact your case and provides diligent service to help you navigate the U.S. immigration system. Contact his law offices to discuss your immigration issue and to get started towards a resolution today.

Other Recent Articles

Seeking Asylum under U. S. Immigration Law

Asylum may be sought in the United States by refugees per laws under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
More Articles »

Houston Religious Group Joins in Movement to Support Immigration Reform

The clergy of a Houston Lutheran church came together with other immigration reform supporters recently in regard to the Strengthen and Fortify Enforcement Act (SAFE Act).
More Articles »

Teen Held in Immigration Detention for a Year Now Faces Federal Incarceration

J.V. was arrested over a year ago in Houston when he was 17 years old. He was taken into custody when police allegedly found him in illegal possession of Xanax (an anti-anxiety drug which can only be ...
More Articles »
(832) 681-6383
2500 East TC Jester Blvd. Suite 120
Houston, TX 77008

Office Hours:
Mon.-Fri. 9am-5pm

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: