The Law Office of Tony E. Parada Articles Teen Held in Immigration Detention for a Year Now Faces Federal Incarceration

Teen Held in Immigration Detention for a Year Now Faces Federal Incarceration

By The Law Office of Tony E. Parada  Nov. 4, 2013 3:56p

J.V. was arrested over a year ago in Houston when he was 17 years old. He was taken into custody when police allegedly found him in illegal possession of Xanax (an anti-anxiety drug which can only be legally obtained through a doctor). The arresting officers say he had three of the tablets with him. He was charged with a misdemeanor and sentenced to serve five days in jail. After he served his time, Immigration and Customs enforcement officers arrived and the teen was transferred to the Selma Carson Juvenile Home nearly 2,500 miles away in Washington.

J.V.'s parents had brought him into the U.S. when he was about five years old but reports do not state if he had a green card or had otherwise been in possession of other documentation regarding his immigration status. He had been taken to the Northwest Detention Center and had been held in detention for over a year when he recently received the news that he would be deported back to Mexico. The teen, now 18 years old, reportedly got very upset by the new as he has no known family in Mexico and knows no one there. He grew up in the U.S. and has no ties in the country his parents had taken him out of. It was due to this frustration that he allegedly attacked a guard at the detention center, according to his public defender. He is accused of sharpening the end of a toothbrush into a shiv and attacking a guard. The guard was not seriously injured but was cut in the neck just below his ear. J.V. now faces federal felony charges for the attack and could be sentenced to 1½ years in federal prison. Talk to an immigration lawyer right away if you are facing deportation or have another immigration issue.

A Houston Immigration Attorney may be able to Help

If you are an immigrant in the U.S. and have been charged with a crime then you could face serious penalties including deportation. If you received a visa or hold a green card then you have been granted certain terms of residency. If you are accused of violating those terms by committing a crime such as a drug offense, sex crime or any offense then you may be convicted of an aggravated felony and deported. Contact me at The Law Office of Tony E. Parada today to discuss your case and how I may be able to pursue a cancellation of removal on your behalf.

Other Recent Articles

Seeking Asylum under U. S. Immigration Law

Asylum may be sought in the United States by refugees per laws under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
More Articles »

Adjustment of Status in Immigration

You may have heard the immigration term “adjustment of status” and wondered what this term means. Basically, adjustment of status refers to the procedure an immigrant must go through to obtain lawful ...
More Articles »

Houston Religious Group Joins in Movement to Support Immigration Reform

The clergy of a Houston Lutheran church came together with other immigration reform supporters recently in regard to the Strengthen and Fortify Enforcement Act (SAFE Act).
More Articles »
(832) 681-6383
2500 East TC Jester Blvd. Suite 120
Houston, TX 77008

Office Hours:
Mon.-Fri. 9am-5pm

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: