Law Office of Eric P. Chapman Articles K1 Fiance(e)s Should Obtain a Social Security Number Within Their 90 Day Period

K1 Fiance(e)s Should Obtain a Social Security Number Within Their 90 Day Period

By Eric P. Chapman, Esq.  Dec. 30, 2010 5:54p

Once a K-1 fiance(e) enters the United States, they have 90 days to marry their U.S. citizen fiance(e).  However, to avoid delays in assimilating into United States society, fiance(e)s should also apply for and receive a Social Security Number (SSN). 

Sometimes clients tell me that the representative at the Social Security Administration (SSA) refused to issue a SSN because only a few days were left on the I-94. Part of the application for a SSN will require submitting a copy of the I-94 issued to the fiance(e) when they entered.  The I-94 is the fiance(e)'s evidence that they entered the U.S. legally and it also states how long the fiance(e) may stay in the U.S., i.e., 90 days.  For a SSN to be issued, the expiration date on the I-94 must not have been reached.  Therefore, a fiance(e) is only allowed to obtain a SSN within their 90-day period following entry  Generally speaking, a fiance(e) should be able to obtain a SSN as long as their I-94 is not expired.  However, time and time again, I hear stories of the SSA refusing to issue SSNs to fiance(e) because there is only 6 days left, 14 days left, etc.  Therefore, to avoid this, within a few weeks of entering the United States, a trip to the SSA should be on the list of things to do.

Call Eric P. Chapman, Esq., an experienced fiancee visa attorney, to help you and your foreign fiancee.

(404) 585-5445
629 Calibre Brooke Way SE
Smyrna, GA 30080

(404) 585-5084

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8 AM-8 PM

Main Website:
View Website
Contact our office by email or phone instantly by clicking the options below: